Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas and Beyond

Who. the. F. Spends Christmas on the beach?

No. Seriously. Who?
Australians. That's who.

Oh, yeah. and ME.

Nah, I'd really like to hype it up and make it sound like it was AMAZING, but it wasn't. It was just chill. Relaxed. And okay.

I haven't really connected with people here. My roommate is...my roommate. We get along fine, but we're fairly different, especially when it comes to the types of people we like to hang out with.

The Irish people I live with are nice. But I have such a hard time trying to figure out what they're saying. I realized I'm focusing on translating their words rather than conversing with them. And, unfortunately, they're not that boisterous and obnoxious like I had always heard (and hoped for).

Melanie and I had planned a yummy Christmas morning breakfast complete with French Crepes and Eggs Benedict, but somehow -- our plans fell through and I ended up skyping with my friend Gary from back home. Not gonna lie. That was exactly what I needed. Thanks Gar!

After much deliberation, I decided to go down to the beach by myself and just take in the Aussie sunshine on such a holiday. However, right before I was about to leave, John, the Irish douche, came calling up the stairs that Christmas Dinner was ready.

Oh. I had kind of forgotten about that.

I ended up going downstairs, bringing a bottle of wine and comsuming a SHITLOAD of food. Everything was delicious. From marinated ham to meatballs to kebabs to tuna salad to cole slaw to couscous to steamed rice to chips to soda to wine to bread. IT WAS INSANITY.

I ate a lot.

I would've taken pictures, but, whoops, I locked myself out of my room. Claire, a nice Irish girl I live with, took a ton of pics, so I'll have to steal her camera one day.

Then, after eating too much, we all decided to put on our bathing suits. Seriously, who's brilliant idea was that?

We found a couple of crazy Canadians who had setup, not joking, a couch on the beach with the Canadian flag flying in the wind.

We brought out Christmas Tree and that just made it all the better.

Everyone was drinking wine or beer and we all just took in the sun. I, of course, was perched on a beanbag (oh, did I forgot to mention that?) underneath their umbrella. Finally, it became hot enough to go take a dip. I didn't last long, the water is freezing in the Pacific. Brrrr. But it was still nice to say I hung out at the beach on Christmas.

The guys (Blain on top, Jonas on bottom) were competing to sit on the couch.

Where'd the Mexican hat came from? I have no idea. This is Michael, a German guy I live with and work with at Barzura. Plus. He has the most amazing body. Whoa.

The night was even more chill. Melanie had rented Santa Clause (with Tim Allen) for a $1 -- so we watched that. The Irish group was playing cards that lasted F.O.R.E.V.E.R. It wasn't even a drinking game! Pssh. Who are they?

Anyway. That was my Holiday in OZ. New Years is going to be something else. Not necessarily good or bad, but definitely different. We'll see how that all plays out.

So tell me, how was your Christmas?

No comments: