Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Reef with No Grief

When we got back from sailing, Foss and I hopped in his car to go up to Mission Beach. We drove to a National Park about in the middle of Airlie Beach and Mission Beach. It was about 9pm, so we weren't up for the whole drive especially after sailing.

But the park was closed.

So we were both frustrated, tired and cranky.

We ended up driving down a road that had no outlet, but there was a round-a-bout filled with trees.

We camped there.

Yet. Another hot night and we got up at the crack of mother-effing dawn. It blew.

But it was Foss' birthday.

I had gone to the grocery store the day before, so I planned to cook him an awesome breakfast -- camping style.

We went down to the National Park and I cooked up some bacon, fried eggs and pancakes.

Whoa. I know. Amazing.

Then we went down to Alligator Creek (which didn't have any alligators) and swam around. There were little waterfalls so we swam over those -- that was really fun.

I sound like such a loser. I hate writing my blog back-to-back. I get bored with it after awhile, and I post too much at once.

But this is my life until I'm off the road.

ANYWAY.

We drove onward to Mission Beach which proved to be rather boring. We hung around the Information center for a bit before we decided...let's just go to Cairns.

We drove up to Cairns while Foss received B-day calls from his family. It worked out nicely.

And we decided to get ourselves a hostel for the night, not only for his birthday, but because we needed a good night's sleep.

After checking in and receiving the best service EVER from a hostel, we went out to the Woolshed to get ourselves a free meal -- courtesy of the hostel.

It was gross. But, hey, it was free. We drank a few beers and I met up with Minelle from Sydney. She just happens to be in Cairns during the time we're here.

Thank God for her, because ever since we checked out of the hostel, we've been using the YHA facilities like it's our job. Or as if we were paying for it.

We decided to book a trip to the Great Barrier Reef for Saturday and Minelle asked to come along.

Unfortunately for her, she ended up not feeling so hot and had one bad thing happen after the other.

She threw up.

Twice.

She got stung by a jellyfish.

She fell down some stairs.

She felt sick again.

But OMG, whoa. The Great Barrier Reef is great.

Phenomenal.

Totally worth every penny spent.

The best trip planned.

And now -- I show you pictures.

Lots of pictures.

Enjoy!

Later that night we went to the Rhinobar to get yet another free meal courtesy of the cruise. It was nasty -- Chicken Puke...I mean Satay. But hey. Again. It was free.

Then Foss and I decided we'd stay the night in the TV room since it was a/c'd and our night before was just too hot.

That proved to be stupid. Again.

Oh well. Sleep is not important.

Off we go to Cape Tribulation. Supposedly the best Rainforest area in OZ. I think. I probably just made that up.

But I's excited. This trip has proven to be quite amazing and Foss and I talk about how we wish it would never end.

But it will.

Which just means I'll be off to another adventure. No doubt about it.

1 comment:

kaymasen said...

OMG still no pictures! WTF? I blame today's technology entirely. For serious. I'm glad you're having fun even though it's hot and you're broked. The Great Barrier Reef = awesome. Once in a lifetime. You go.