Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Glass Hizzy Mountains

Upon our arrival on the outskirts of Bribane, we were hungry. Real hungry. Although we hadn't done much with our day, we were interested in finding ourselves a place to stop, cook and pass out. I was fairly hungover from the night before.

We drove through the outer parts of Brisbane until we reached our final destination. Foss had picked this part of Oz because of what he had read about it in the Lonely Planet. I'll soon find out that he picks based solely on what the Lonely Planet has to say.

Foss asked me to drive, which was extremely nerve-wrecking, but I pressed on. Luckily, when I'm on the HWY (or known here as the Motorway -- MWY) I can easily assume I should be on the left side due to all the cars as well as the median.

Finally we find the Glass House Mountain Lookout and are shocked to see the beauty of it. Absolutely gorgeous. But, unfortunately, the sun was setting so we didn't have a lot of time to setup and prepare ourselves for the night.

So. We took a few pictures of the sunset:

and then we walked a very short circuit around the lookout. Very short. 800m short.

Turns out we weren't the only ones smart enough to camp here for free. There was a van from the Wicked company. They're known for their crazy vans painted with the most obscene images or words.

For instance. My favorite one to date. Two gingerbread cookies fornicating on the side of a van. Classic.

There was also another campervan, but more luxurious, parked at the front.

For dinner, we had noodles with...you guessed it...that damn chicken we still were picking off. It was quite delicious.

And I made a camping stable -- S'mores. Foss had never heard of these and I found that absolutely preposterous, so I forced us to buy the goods for the best dessert known to a camping man.

I win. He loved it.

After dinner we laid our heads on a bench overlooking the mountains. The stars were absolutely spectacular that night. So clear, so vivid. It was amazing. But the bats were OUT and a bit O.O.C. And we were getting bitten to death. So we called it a night and went to camp out in the cozy backseat of the station wagon.

I didn't sleep AT ALL that night. Not sure if it was the incredible rainfall we had, the fact I was afraid someone was peering into the car as we slept or maybe it was Foss' snoring. Hey. It might've been the luxurious make-shift bed we were sleeping on. I just can't be certain. Regardless, I didn't get any sleep.

What does no sleep mean for Mariah?

Bitch-mode. I wasn't a happy camper. Literally.

We made ourselves a yummy brekky (bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and bread -- dear GOD), packed up and were off to the Australia Zoo. Mr. Steve Erwin's claim to fame (among other things, i.e. sting rays).

Bad news was that it was raining. Not hard. But not pretty. And when it's raining like that -- I'm out. Who wants to indulge $50 to see some animals in the rain? Not me. Plus, we have to come back. Why not trek on and go to the zoo on the way back?

It was a plan. So we ventured off to a new spot. Noosa. And what a gorgeous town that was....

1 comment:

kaymasen said...

YAY pictures! awesome & beautiful ones, too!